Warstone Lane Cemetery
Warstone Lane Cemetery (also known as Brookfields Cemetery) was founded by the Church of England Cemetery company and consecrated by the Bishop of Worcester in 1848. It was designed to serve the Anglican community. This was the second garden cemetery in Birmingham, also located in the Jewellery Quarter, inspired by the success of the neighbouring Key Hill cemetery.
The once thriving cemetery ran into difficult in the 20th century, as burial space ran out and income fell. Like Key Hill, it was compulsorily purchased by Birmingham City Council and since the 1950s both cemeteries have been managed together. The sad loss of the chapel and boundary railings in the post-war period, along with the clearance and burial of memorial stones at this time are now much regretted. Many community stakeholders including the Friends and Jewellery Quarter Research Trust have worked hard to protect and improve the cemetery in recent years.
The first stage of the restoration work at Warstone Lane was to reinstate the railings and repair the catacombs, and this phase of the project was completed in January 2020. Work on the pathways and drainage is ongoing. There will also be a new ‘Garden of Memory’ laid out, to mark the former site of the chapel and provide a new community space.
Work is scheduled to be completed by the end of Summer 2020, although it is anticipated that there may be Covid-19 related delays to some aspects of the project.
For much more information on Warstone Lane Cemetery head over to the JQ Cemeteries Project website.